USB torch

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

USB torch

Postby Laaca » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi!
My uncle has a funky USB device. It is a USB torch. Just a thing with LED diode which you plug into USB drive and you can switch the light on and off. It is completely useless, of course but it is a simplest USB device I know and it could be interresting to include a utility for it in DOSUSB just like a programming example how to work woth your USB interface.
Laaca

Re: USB torch

Postby Bret » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:57 am

Actually, USB torches (I usually call them USB reading lights) are not USB devices at all, and there's no way to write a driver for them. In the USB world, they are classified as "power leeches" or "vampires", since all they do is steal power from the USB bus without telling any of the USB software what they are doing. They are one of the things about USB that makes it impossible to manage power on the bus.

Believe it or not, the simplest USB device out there is probably a USB Hub. The reason my device drivers are so complicated is that they all support multiple devices (USBHUB, for example, can support up to 16 Hubs), and they also support plug-and-play. My drivers would be much smaller and simpler if they didn't do those things, but "general purpose" drivers like mine really need to support plug-and-play for multiple devices.
Bret

Return to Programs