Joystick / Mouse issues

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

Re: Joystick / Mouse issues

Postby Bret » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Code: Select all
   BAD (INCOMPATIBLE) MICE
ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ

HOST  DVC   INTF  STAGE  ERROR
INDX  ADDR  NUM    NUM   CODE
ÄÄÄÄ  ÄÄÄÄ  ÄÄÄÄ  ÄÄÄÄÄ  ÄÄÄÄÄ
   0     2     0    210  0000h
   0     2     1     70  0010h Short Packet
   0     2     2    210  0000h

This looks like it may be some sort of subtle timing problem or electrical impedance problem or similar with the U-HID device itself, the USB host controller, or the cabling. The entries in this table are for the first three of the four Interfaces of the U-HID device. The first one (0-2-0 in the first three columns) is the "generic" HID Device (just independent buttons and LED's), the second (0-2-1) is the joystick, and the third (0-2-2) is the keyboard. For the first and third lines, error code 0 at stage 210 indicates that USBMOUSE doesn't believe the Interface is a Mouse, which is exactly what should happen. USBMOUSE does not beep for an "error" at this stage, which is why you're only getting one beep instead of three.

A short packet error at stage 50 or 70 indicates that the U-HID is not responding correctly to a request for data. I have no idea why the presence, or lack of presence, of CWSDPMI or a PS2 mouse would affect this. Can you try this with a hub inserted between the host controller and the U-HID and see what happens? Obviously, if you do this, you'll need to install the hub driver, USBHUB. Can you also try maybe inserting a small delay in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file between USBUHCIL and USBPRINT/USBMOUSE (you can use my DELAY program if you want, which is included with SCANCODE)?

EDIT: Not that it is really pertinent to the troubleshooting discussion, but I'm wondering why you install USBPRINT since it doesn't look like you have a USB printer attached. Is there a USB printer attached but currently turned off, or do you have a parallel printer and are using some of the features that USBPRINT allows for parallel printers?
Bret

Re: Joystick / Mouse issues

Postby Dinosaur » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi Bret

I agree with you on the timing issue, and it shouldnt be the cabling that I have on the test rig.
5 meters of Screened cable between Joystick and usb board.
I Meter of usb cable to cpu board.

Plugging a ps2 mouse in eliminates the problem, but I suspect that the addition is causing
a slight delay

More inclined to agree with the timing issue, as putting a 2 second delay at bootup has also solved the problem.
I will make Andy aware, so that the next boards I buy dont have that problem.

but I'm wondering why you install USBPRINT
It was originally added to satisfy the Boundtest but will remove it.

Other than this issue, I have not found anything else on ms-dos or FreeDos.

Will keep testing.

Regards
Dinosaur

Previous

Return to Programs