USBPRINT in Win3.11

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

USBPRINT in Win3.11

Postby Serg » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:29 pm

Hi.
I use printer HP LJ P1505n. Your program USBPRINT.COM well works under MS DOS 6.22, the printer prints (not so fast). Whether works USBPRINT.COM in Windows environment 3.11. I tried, but USBPRINT.COM does not see the printer.

Serg N.
Serg

Re: USBPRINT in Win3.11

Postby Bret » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:28 am

Serg wrote:I use printer HP LJ P1505n. Your program USBPRINT.COM well works under MS DOS 6.22, the printer prints (not so fast).

It probably won't be very fast until there is a USB 2.0 (EHCI) host driver developed. My emphasis so far has been on reliability and compatibility, rather than speed.

Serg wrote:Whether works USBPRINT.COM in Windows environment 3.11. I tried, but USBPRINT.COM does not see the printer.

It's been a long time since I've used Windows 3.x, but I think I remember there being ports called LPT1 & LPT1.DOS, LPT2 & LPT2.DOS, etc. If you have LPTx (without the .DOS at the end selected (which you probably do), USBPRINT won't work. USBPRINT emulates the printer at the BIOS level, not the hardware level. Try selecting the LPTx.DOS port in Windows instead of LPTx -- I think that might fix your problem.

In general, if a program gives you an option of printing to the hardware (an I/O port number like 278h), using the BIOS (INT 17h), or using DOS (INT 21h), do NOT use the hardware option -- use either the BIOS or DOS option.
Bret

Re: USBPRINT in Win3.11

Postby Serg » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:28 pm

HI Bret.

Your sentence has proved to be true. All works fine

Many thanks
Serg
Serg

Return to Programs