Slow drive access

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

Slow drive access

Postby Deniska » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:32 am

Hi!

First of all thank you for developing this driver, as the DOS community is in real need of such software. Your mass storage driver works fine on my computer with an UHCI controller. I can plug and unplug as many flash drives and portable drives as I like without problems. However, the transfer speed is really slow, on the order of 25 Kb/s, while the speed of the Panasonic USBASPI mass storage driver is ~500-600 Kb/s. Is there a reason for this or am I likely to be doing something wrong?

Deniska
Deniska

Re: Slow drive access

Postby Bret » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:47 pm

Try experimenting with the /X:# option. This controls how many sectors USBDRIVE will try to transfer at one time. Some drive and controller combinations cannot handle trying to send too many sectors at one, and you'll get lots of "Disk Not Ready" errors.

The default value that USBDRIVE uses for the # is 1, which is slow but very reliable. The maximum value you can use for the # is 64, which is supposedly as fast as any drive can go, but may not be reliable (depending on your hardware). You will just need to experiment until you find the best value to use.

I personally have three different computers and several different flash drives, and I've found the best value for me to use is 4. I have one flash drive (made by SanDIsk) that works fine at X:64, but the rest of them are unreliable at anything higher than 4. There is a sample table in the documentation (USBINTRO.DOC) that shows some experiments I did with different values for X.
Bret

Re: Slow drive access

Postby iw2evk » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi,
thsi is my experience with 6 usb stick of varius size and a digital
camera and 4 way self powered hub.

If the device can be recognized from drivers , setting x=1 or x=64
change dramaticaly the time of access .

If the device it's NOT recognized from drivers , setting X=1 or other
don't change any..

See my experience in forum :"usb rebel stick"...

Roberto iw2evk

Milan
iw2evk

Return to Programs