FT232R

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

FT232R

Postby Dinosaur » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:35 am

Hi Bret

Some of the boards that I am looking at, claim to use this chip.
Is that something I should be concerned about, or is that the domain of the usbuhcil driver ?

Regards
Dinosaur

Re: FT232R

Postby Bret » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:17 am

USBUHCIL won't care what chip is involved. It will enumerate the Device, and let you "see" it and control it through the API.

However, the TD232R is a USB-to-UART (serial port) converter, so the way you request the data and the way it gets sent to you will be in a COMPLETELY different format than U-HID. I haven't written a driver for a USB-to-Serial converter yet, but it's on the list of things I want to do after I get the OHCI host driver done. What you learn will probably help me when I get around to doing that.

One problem with USB-to-Serial converters is that there is no USB standard for how they're supposed to work, so you will need to depend on the manufacturer to provide that information to you. That may be better than the boat you're in now, where there is a standard but the manufacturer doesn't seem to follow it.

A lot of the problems you've had in the past have been related to DPMI, memory locations, real-mode vs. protected mode, etc., and you seem to have all of that figured out now. It's just the device-specific stuff you need to work through. Hopefully the manufacturer will provide you enough information that you can figure it all out.
Bret

Postby Dinosaur » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi Bret

Somehow I think a board with an usb to serial (232) is a stop gap measure.
One would think that a usb interface chip has inputs that are directly accessable, without
jumping through more hoops.

But I will Google and email people to find the right device.(and price)
Some of these boards are in the $400 region.

Regards
Edit: Coming to the conclusion that there are different ways it is done.
Some are usb embedded into the chip with the i/o
Some have pic's
Some have other micro's
Dinosaur

Postby Dinosaur » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi Bret

Just for your and other's info....
These two links may be the option for me.
This board has a MicroChip PIC32, and looks well supported.
http://www.schmalzhaus.com/UBW32/

The StickOS here makes programming the PiC easy.
http://www.cpustick.com/index.htm

Regards
Dinosaur

Return to Programs