Multiple instances of USBUHCI/L

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

Multiple instances of USBUHCI/L

Postby davepaxton » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:32 am

Hi ,
I feel I might regret asking this one but here goes:-

Do you run multiple instances of USBUHCI/L simply by executing one USBUHCI/L.COM after the other?
Do you need to point an instance at a particular controller say by using something like "USBUHCI/L index n" ?
If we are running multiple instance what command can we issue to see how many instances are running and which controllers (PCI index wise) they are pointed at?

Apologies if this is obvious from documentation but I if so I am missing it.

Again probably an obvious one:-
Can "USBUHCI/L addressdata" only find logical devices attached to the ports of a (non-root) hub when there is an instance of USBHUB running?

Regards
Dave Paxton
davepaxton

Re: Multiple instances of USBUHCI/L

Postby Bret » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:54 pm

davepaxton wrote:Do you run multiple instances of USBUHCI/L simply by executing one USBUHCI/L.COM after the other?

Yes. That is the only way to do it.
davepaxton wrote:Do you need to point an instance at a particular controller say by using something like "USBUHCI/L index n" ?

Yes. You can only manipulate one instance of USBUHCIL at a time, and the /Index:# is how you tell it which one.
davepaxton wrote:If we are running multiple instance what command can we issue to see how many instances are running and which controllers (PCI index wise) they are pointed at?

The easiest way is to run USBHOSTS. With it, you can tell which ones are controlled by USBHCI{L} and which are controlled by some other software (the BIOS or another DOS driver).
davepaxton wrote:Apologies if this is obvious from documentation but I if so I am missing it.

It's in the documentation, though it may not at all be obvious.
davepaxton wrote:Can "USBUHCI/L addressdata" only find logical devices attached to the ports of a (non-root) hub when there is an instance of USBHUB running?

Yes. A hub must be configured (via USBHUB) before any devices downstream of the hub can be seen. You can't run more than one instance of USBHUB -- the single instance will control multiple hubs on multiple host controllers.
Bret

Re: Multiple instances of USBUHCI/L

Postby davepaxton » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Bret,
Thanks for the clarification.
Regards
Dave
davepaxton

Return to Programs