usbmouse kills laptop keyboard

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

usbmouse kills laptop keyboard

Postby clasqm » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:58 pm

I have a Samsung RV510, a thoroughly middle of the road CeleronII business laptop with three USB2 ports as its only I/O apart from the ethernet jack (i.e. no PS/2 port) that I am setting up with FreeDos.

Regardless of whether USB Legacy is switched on or off in the BIOS, there is something handling USB. An external USB keyboard just starts working. USBUHCI complains mightily, but the /DisableOther switch takes care of it.

But the moment I run USBMOUSE, the built-in keyboard freezes, stone dead. I suppose I could keep the external keyboard plugged in but that is hardly a solution for a laptop :D

I've tried juggling USBUHCI's IRQs. I've tried combinations of loading into high and low memory, not really knowing what I'm doing, always with this same result. Makes no difference If I use the files with FreeDos 1.1 or the ones from this site.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Michel
clasqm

Re: usbmouse kills laptop keyboard

Postby Bret » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:18 am

Have you also tried loading USBKEYB (along with USBMOUSE)? Sometimes the keyboard and mouse are different interfaces of the same device, rather than being two separate devices. USBMOUSE and USBKEYB can "talk" to each other indirectly to handle this situation (it works most of the time, but no guarantees). If loading USBKEYB doesn't work, we can do some more extensive troubleshooting.

Also, at least reading between the lines, it sounds like your external USB keyboard works OK with the BIOS but your mouse does not?
Bret

Postby clasqm » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:43 am

Sort of. It works if it is plugged in at bootup, you can't plug it in afterwards. If you start typing a command on one keyboard then switch to the other, both freeze. With legacy ON in the Bios, USBUHCI /disableLegacy freezes them both. I'm thinking that the builtin keyboard is itself a USB item.

I'm trying to work my way through the various combinations systematically. The best result so far has been to run USBUHCI with Legacy OFF in the BIOS, ignore the complaint about another program and type "Y", then run USBKEYB and USBMOUSE. That gave me the external keyboard to run CTMOUSE, which gave me a cursor in the center of the screen when I ran EDIT. OK, it didn't actually move. And I couldn't duplicate it two minutes later :-(
clasqm

Postby Bret » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this.

With just the BISO running, try running "USBHOSTS D" to figure out which ports have things plugged into them and the relationships between the the EHCI and UHCI controllers. We may want to try stopping one or more of the EHCI hosts (with a "USBHOSTS StopEHCI #", where # is an EHCI host index) to force the devices to the UHCI controllers.
Bret

Return to Programs