logitech extreme 3d pro Joystick trouble

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

logitech extreme 3d pro Joystick trouble

Postby GregSaling » Mon May 05, 2014 4:10 pm

Using the logitech extreme 3d pro joystick, I can get everything to work except the "Throttle". When I execute "usbjstik rawdata:0", I see numbers for axis 0, axis 1 and axis 2(Rudder). Moving the throttle causes the indicators for B8 thru B5(B15?) to turn off and on in a pattern that doesn't make sense to me. when the throttle is all the way back all eight indicators are on. When the lever is moved slightly forward, 8 and 9 turn off then when nudged a little more 0(10?) turns off then 8 and 0(10?) comes on and 1(11?) goes off. The indicators continue to turn off and on until the throttle is all the way forward at which point they all finally turn off. It looks almost like a binary sequence but it doesn't seem to be in any logical order. By the way, when using the logitech driver in win98, the throttle appears to work with the logitech test program, so I think the joystick is working as logitech designed it but the throttle is not mapped to the y axis of the 2nd joystick as was customary for the old analog joysticks.
Is there any way to get the throttle working in dos with usbjstik.com?

Regards,

Greg
GregSaling

Re: logitech extreme 3d pro Joystick trouble

Postby Bret » Wed May 07, 2014 5:01 am

I tried to make USBJSTIK pretty flexible in how it maps the USB data to virtualized analog data, but I don't think I took into account the possibility of the joystick declaring an axis to be buttons. It might still be possible possible, though, for you to use the Throttle, at least in a limited fashion. The first thing we'll need to do is figure out the pattern of what the bits mean.

As a start, could you upload the contents of the HID report descriptor (USBJSTIK /R) and the RawData screen? For the first one, you can just do a "USBJSTIK /R > Logitech.Rpt" and upload the Logitech.Rpt file. For the second, you can use my PRTSCR program to be able to send the contents of a PrintScreen to a text file instead of a printer. Also, cpuld you send an exact , detailed description of how the bits change as you move the throttle from one extreme to the other (you've listed a few of the bit manipulations, but not all of them).

I do have a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D joystick, but I haven't used it in a long time. I'll try to pull it out this weekend and see what it looks like. It's not exactly the same model as yours, but it's probably fairly close and may give some ideas.
Bret

Postby GregSaling » Wed May 07, 2014 2:47 pm

joystikdata.zip
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 1292 times
Thanks For the reply Bret. The attached file contains LOGITECH.RPT containing the "HID report descriptor" and RAWDATA.RPT which was created using your PRTSCR. The first data set was printed with the Throttle lever all the way back. Then the next one was printed with the lever pushed slightly forward and so on. The last one was printed with the lever all the way forward. So it looks like it is a binary sequence but the bits are reversed. So button 8 is bit 0 and button 15 is bit 7. If each set is reversed and converted to decimal, it makes a linear progression from 255 to 0. Hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Greg
GregSaling

Postby Bret » Thu May 08, 2014 3:04 am

I've taken a look at your outputs, and I see that I'm doing something wrong as I "interpret" the report descriptor. Buttons 8-15 should be the throttle, and you should only have 12 buttons instead of 20. I'll take a look at the USBJSTIK code over the next several days and see if I can fix it.
Bret

Postby GregSaling » Thu May 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks Bret,
I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Regards,

Greg
GregSaling

Postby GregSaling » Mon May 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Hey Bret,
Have you made any headway with this?

Greg
GregSaling

Postby Bret » Fri May 23, 2014 10:43 am

Sorry this took so long, Greg. I sent the files to you in a private e-mail, since I don't want the program distributed to the public yet.

I actually had it ready to send to you several days ago, but it somehow got saved in my draft e-mail folder instead of actually being sent to you. I just now noticed the problem.

Let me know how it works.
Bret

Return to Programs