Serial Comms

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

Serial Comms

Postby Dinosaur » Sun May 17, 2015 9:54 am

Hi Bret

Long time since I have posted here or on FreeDos, but I am still around and active.
Currently I am in Salt Lake City on a 2 year consultancy, so not in Australia at the moment.

I am trying to ascertain the possibility of the following.
FreeDos -> USB port -> USB to RS485 converter -> General I/O Modules
The commands are simple ascii commands as are the replies.

Have not seen a Serial driver detail amongst your list.
Is this something I can do using your drivers ?

Regards
Dinosaur

Re: Serial Comms

Postby Bret » Sun May 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Welcome to America!

That's theoretically possible, but no serial drivers have been written yet. USB actually does have a serial standard, but almost none of the manufacturers follow the standard -- they come up with their own proprietary way of doing things. So, if you buy a USB-to-serial adapter made by one manufacturer and write a driver for it, it may only work with that one particular manufacturer/model. I do intend to write a serial driver someday (and it probably won't be very "universal" for the reason just mentioned), but even at that it will still be a long time in the future.

I think in the past you used FreeBASIC, and you might be able to leverage what you did in the past and write a serial driver, at least for a specific manufacturer/model of adapter (assuming you can find enough information about how their protocol works). Hopefully the hardware you're using still has UHCI host contollers so my drivers will work -- modern hardware has gotten away from that.
Bret

Return to Programs