Have you heard from USB yet?

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

Re: Have you heard from USB yet?

Postby wimpie » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:07 pm

Congratulations. :) Now I am very happy too.
I appreciated your to the point questions and reports.
Bret's drivers are very easy to use and work well.

In case you want to try and record 16 bit mono:
The frame size array has 10 entries. All sizes set to 100.
This applies to both 48000Hz and 44100Hz.
wimpie

Postby watlers world » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:04 am

Bret, are the old chipsets too slow for audio devices?

The USB "3D sound" works well on pentium 3 and 4 machines.
I can play *.mod files at 48khz. http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/USBAUDIO.zip

On both pentium and pentium MMX chipsets there are short packet errors.
Reset/Enumeration Stage 90 (and Stage 60)
Nothing detected but a PC speaker "beep!"
Last edited by watlers world on Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
watlers world

Postby Bret » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:44 am

I don't know what the minimum requirements would be for sound (or any type of isochronous device). I've never implemented anything like that myself. But, it wouldn't surprise me since USB is very software-intensive and needs a lot of CPU resources.
Bret

Postby watlers world » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Although the device is only a few weeks old it is failing already.
The Left channel has ceased operation.

I learned not to buy the USB "3D SOUND" devices.
They are junk. :P
watlers world

Postby wimpie » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:47 am

Although the device is only a few weeks old it is failing already.
The Left channel has ceased operation.

Too :( bad. But... May be the stereo plug was not completely inserted into the device?
wimpie

Postby Daisy221 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Hello there, I am Daisy Simpson, a university professor,and I like to believe that I'm a very good professional freelance writer.Passionate about to writing and charity.Now I work as editor at online dissertation help and newbie member here.
Daisy221

Postby Virtual_Davey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:30 am

watlers world wrote:Bret, are the old chipsets too slow for audio devices?

The USB "3D sound" works well on pentium 3 and 4 machines.
I can play *.mod files at 48khz. http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/USBAUDIO.zip

On both pentium and pentium MMX chipsets there are short packet errors.
Reset/Enumeration Stage 90 (and Stage 60)
Nothing detected but a PC speaker "beep!"

I downloaded your USB Audio files but the included instructions are quite vague. Can you be more specific on how to install these files?
Virtual_Davey

Postby watlers world » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:29 pm

After the old "3d Sound" died, I took a rest from USB sound cards.
Did I cause the device to go bad? :oops:
Did my driver even work?

My PCI sound card drivers seem to work: http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/programs/index.htm
Not a single PCI sound chip died.

I purchased a Sabrent USB sound device.
When I asked Sabrent if it was safe to use with USB 1.0, they said "You should be OK on a USB 1.0 port."

Bret, does my driver look safe to use on random USB sound cards? :?
http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/Usbaud2.zip

Virtual_Davey, please describe your computer setup in greater detail.

AUTOEXEC.BAT
USBUHCI.COM
PCUSBI64.EXE
USNDTSR.EXE

Install the windows driver from control panel Or
add the driver to the windows SYSTEM folder and update SYSTEM.INI
[drivers]
wave=usbaudio.dll
watlers world

Postby Virtual_Davey » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:14 pm

watlers world wrote:
Virtual_Davey, please describe your computer setup in greater detail.

AUTOEXEC.BAT
USBUHCI.COM
PCUSBI64.EXE
USNDTSR.EXE

Install the windows driver from control panel Or
add the driver to the windows SYSTEM folder and update SYSTEM.INI
[drivers]
wave=usbaudio.dll

Here is a link to the exact computer I'm using :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOS-6-22-Win-3- ... SwqYBWmoDU

I installed the driver and I see "USB Soundcard" in my installed drivers. I can see my AUTOEXEC.BAT but I can't find the other 3 files you listed.
Virtual_Davey

Postby watlers world » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:33 am

USBUHCI.COM is in Bret's USB driver package.
Do you have other USB devices working yet?

Make sure to install the newest version http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/Usbaud2.zip
When you download and unzip Usbaud2.zip, PCUSBI64.EXE and USNDTSR.EXE should be in the /TSR folder.
watlers world

Postby Virtual_Davey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:07 am

watlers world wrote:USBUHCI.COM is in Bret's USB driver package.
Do you have other USB devices working yet?

Make sure to install the newest version http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/Usbaud2.zip
When you download and unzip Usbaud2.zip, PCUSBI64.EXE and USNDTSR.EXE should be in the /TSR folder.

I have usb flash drives, usb keyboard and usb mice working. I've been unsuccessful in getting a usb controller working though (Logitech Dual Action G-UF13A and a Sidewinder Plug and Play Gamepad X04-97602).

I installed PCIUSB64.EXE and USNDTSR.EXE and edited autoexec.bat and system.ini according the the readme, but I'm not sure what to remove from config.sys. Do I just remove the two lines that reference emm386? And I'm also not sure how to add activate.exe to the startup group... I saw a window that said startup, but I wasn't able to do anything with it and it was a blank window.
Virtual_Davey

Postby watlers world » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:48 am

My windows drivers do not use EMM386.
You can remove all EMM386 lines.

When running windows in 386 Enhanced mode you do not need to run /activate/
It is only required for Standard Mode WIN/S

The computer may have built in BIOS support for keyboards, mice, and storage drives.
Did you actually need to install a driver to use those?

Since you have USB mice, you could test my windows driver.
http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/programs/HEAVY2.zip

You are having trouble with USBJSTIK.COM?

Once run, bret's drivers will wrest control from the BIOS.
Then, Use USBDEVIC.COM to view all connected USB devices.
Is the Sidewinder now listed as connected?
If the game controller is found, then run USBJSTIK.COM
Finally, use THRUST.COM To test your joystick.

You can use extra USB keyboards and mice as windows 3.1 joysticks.
http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/VER27.zip

I wrote a windows program for viewing my USB hardware.
http://turkeys4me.byethost4.com/DELPHI.7z

My USB audio driver will only play 16-bit audio.
If you want to play 8-bit audio you will need to install Media Player 5.2.
http://www.win31.de/esoft.htm
watlers world

Postby Virtual_Davey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:53 pm

When I use USBJSTIK it tells me " There must be a compatible USB host driver installed in memory (something like USBUHCI.COM) before this program can be installed." After installing USBUHCI my keyboard becomes non-functional so I can't proceed further.
Virtual_Davey

Postby watlers world » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Perhaps you could place the drivers in order in autoexec.bat.

c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 0
C:\USBDOS11\USBKEYB.COM
c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 1
c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 2

Does this problem disable the PS2 keyboard and mouse?
I used the PS2 keyboard for typing and my 8 USB keyboards as windows 3.1 joysticks.
Perhaps this may work for you also.

If your computer has onboard AC97 or HDA you could try these drivers.
http://win3x.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=Pascal
watlers world

Postby Virtual_Davey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:18 pm

I bought a PS/2 keyboard and mouse today, and no longer have issues with no resonse (I was using usb k/m before).
First I ran USBUHCI.COM (believe it said it was in lower memory), then I ran USBJSTIK.COM (said it was in upper memory). Ran USBDEVIC.COM and saw the picture below:
http://thumbsnap.com/i/R1MDJh1a.jpg

I had attached both joysticks (Logitech Dual Action G-UF13A and a Sidewinder Plug and Play Gamepad X04-97602) . Is there a specific Sidewinder it's looking for? There are various usb variants available I notice.

Also after I run USBUHCI, I can no longer access my flash drive. Could USBUHI be disabling my USB ports?
Virtual_Davey

Postby watlers world » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:04 pm

USBUHCI.COM disables BIOS USB support when run.
Bret created a separate TSR for each type of device.
Till each is run, there will be no Bret-based support for those devices.

Each UHCI device has two physical external USB plugins.
Perhaps your PC has two UHCI controllers.

My computer had eight UHCI controllers. (16 plugins)
I created a batch file to start them all.

UHCI.BAT
c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 0
c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 1
c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 2
c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 3
c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 4
c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 5
c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 6
c:\usbdos11\usbuhci.com /index 7

Because I was writing my own USB device drivers, I did not always run Bret's other drivers.
You can read about each TSR in USBINTRO.DOC

In Your picture USBDEVIC says that you have an operational VIA Technologies Root Hub .
No devices are listed as connected to its two ports.
watlers world

Postby Bret » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:40 am

There can be only one piece of software controlling each USB host. If the BIOS is controlling a particular USB host, USBUHCI can't be controlling it. It sounds like your flash drive is being controlled by the BIOS. So, when you install USBUHCI, it does take over control of the USB host and anything attached to it (including the flash drive) will stop working. Your flash drive should work again if you install both USBUHCI and USBDRIVE.

But, there's something else going on here. The USBDEVIC screen shows you have only one USB host with two ports, but you seem to say that you can have a flash drive and two joysticks plugged into it all at the same time. It's not possible to have three devices plugged into two ports.

Try running USBHOSTS to see how many USB host controllers you actually have. If you have more than two USB ports, you must have more than one USB host. USBUHCI by default only installs for the first host controller it finds (Index 0) unless you give it a command-line option to do something else. You can also install multiple copies of USBUHCI, one for each USB host you have. Watler installs eight copies of it since he has eight hosts (Indexes 0-7). You only need to install USBUHCI for the USB hosts you want USBUHCI to control, and leave the BIOS controlling the rest of them. For example, if you want to leave the BIOS controlling your flash drive and let USBUHCI control the joysticks, you need to make sure you install USBUHCI only for the USB hosts/ports you want it to control and plug things into the correct ports. That is, plug the flash drive into one of the ports controlled by the BIOS and the joysticks into the ports controlled by USBUHCI.

Run USBHOSTS as the next step to troubleshooting. USBHOSTS can also show you which ports of each host have things attached to them (it can't tell you exactly what kind of device is attached to each port, but it can show you that something is attached).
Bret

Postby Virtual_Davey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:46 am

Bret wrote:There can be only one piece of software controlling each USB host. If the BIOS is controlling a particular USB host, USBUHCI can't be controlling it. It sounds like your flash drive is being controlled by the BIOS. So, when you install USBUHCI, it does take over control of the USB host and anything attached to it (including the flash drive) will stop working. Your flash drive should work again if you install both USBUHCI and USBDRIVE.

But, there's something else going on here. The USBDEVIC screen shows you have only one USB host with two ports, but you seem to say that you can have a flash drive and two joysticks plugged into it all at the same time. It's not possible to have three devices plugged into two ports.

Try running USBHOSTS to see how many USB host controllers you actually have. If you have more than two USB ports, you must have more than one USB host. USBUHCI by default only installs for the first host controller it finds (Index 0) unless you give it a command-line option to do something else. You can also install multiple copies of USBUHCI, one for each USB host you have. Watler installs eight copies of it since he has eight hosts (Indexes 0-7). You only need to install USBUHCI for the USB hosts you want USBUHCI to control, and leave the BIOS controlling the rest of them. For example, if you want to leave the BIOS controlling your flash drive and let USBUHCI control the joysticks, you need to make sure you install USBUHCI only for the USB hosts/ports you want it to control and plug things into the correct ports. That is, plug the flash drive into one of the ports controlled by the BIOS and the joysticks into the ports controlled by USBUHCI.

Run USBHOSTS as the next step to troubleshooting. USBHOSTS can also show you which ports of each host have things attached to them (it can't tell you exactly what kind of device is attached to each port, but it can show you that something is attached).

I tried USBHOSTS, and it didn't show anything connected. But it showed that I have 4 controllers (8 usb ports total), so I ran USBUHCI for each host, then ran USBDRIVE. But I was still unable to access my flashdrive. I also tried USBUHCI on only the first host controller, and switching the flashdrive around between different ports (to try and find which ports were controlled by that controller). But it doesn't seem like the BIOS is controlling any of the ports after running USBUHCI. I also had a joystick connected while trying these. I didn't see that, either.

Here's the bat file I made when setting up all the controllers and trying to get the flashdrive working. I tried it without the TSR files as well and it still didn't work.

Code: Select all
CD C:\DRIVERS\BRET
USBUHCI /INDEX 0
USBUHCI /INDEX 1
USBUHCI /INDEX 2
USBUHCI /INDEX 3

CD C:\TSR\TSR

PCIUSB64.EXE
USNDTSR.EXE

CD C:\DRIVERS\BRET

USBDRIVE
Virtual_Davey

Postby watlers world » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:20 am

That batch file looks good.
Do you keep all your TSR files in a folder called TSR?

If I recall properly, USBUHCI version 1.1 works with Windows Enhanced Mode but
USBUHCI 1.4 only works with Windows Standard Mode. (WIN/S)

Although I had 16 USB ports, I also had an x58 chipset with a 750watt power unit.
I wonder how much power your computer has devoted to the USB ports.
Most of my USB devices said that they used about a half an amp.
watlers world

Postby Virtual_Davey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:52 am

watlers world wrote:That batch file looks good.
Do you keep all your TSR files in a folder called TSR?

If I recall properly, USBUHCI version 1.1 works with Windows Enhanced Mode but
USBUHCI 1.4 only works with Windows Standard Mode. (WIN/S)

Although I had 16 USB ports, I also had an x58 chipset with a 750watt power unit.
I wonder how much power your computer has devoted to the USB ports.
Most of my USB devices said that they used about a half an amp.

The version I'm using is version 0.14 (which I got from the "complete set of DOS USB drivers" (545 kB, UPDATED January 30, 2010 ). Where do I find the newer downloads? I presume I'm on enhanced mode because I see "386 Enhanced" in my program manager.
Virtual_Davey

Postby watlers world » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:00 am

I guess it is 0.11 and 0.14.
I just thought of them as 1.1 and 1.4 because I had folders called USBDOS11 and USBDOS14.

http://win3x.conforums.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1502074622

Once you figure out which sets of USB plugs are connected to which UHCI controllers,
just install Bret's drivers for the controllers that you do not intend to plug your USB thumb drive into.
watlers world

Postby Virtual_Davey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 am

The issue was I needed the 0.11 version of USBUHCI, for now the USB ports work. I was able to get a controller and flash drive working. There are a few issue though.
Once I run USBUCHI for all all USB controllers and USBJSTIK:

1) I can't run certain games anymore (DOS games) because it says the game needs more memory. None of my Windows 3 games work anymore due to the memory issue (so I couldn't test Joykey200). When I tried this in Windows, the flashdrive that the game is on stopped being available on the computer.
2) Flash drive no longer works in windows unless I take it out and put it back in again (but this doesn't always work).
3) The flashdrive is normally designated as the E drive after running USBUHCI (it goes from D to E), but now the computer doesn't see the flashdrive any more until running USBUHCI, where it becomes the D drive instead of the E drive.

Also after installing the latest USB Audio driver, after running USBUCHI, the light on the soundcard flashes but no sound emits from it. The computer beeps during the light flashes.
Virtual_Davey

Postby watlers world » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:40 am

Yikes! :shock:
You can remove or comment out my TSR and Windows drivers till you can determine if everything else is error free.

It might help if you told which DOS games work and which don't.
A few DOS games require EMM386.

First errors first.
Please post or attach your config.sys and autoexec.bat for Bret to read. :ugeek:

You are very good with those screen shots. ;)
watlers world

Postby Virtual_Davey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:38 pm

watlers world wrote:Yikes! :shock:
You can remove or comment out my TSR and Windows drivers till you can determine if everything else is error free.

It might help if you told which DOS games work and which don't.
A few DOS games require EMM386.

First errors first.
Please post or attach your config.sys and autoexec.bat for Bret to read. :ugeek:

You are very good with those screen shots. ;)

Here are the config.sys and the autoexec.bat:

http://thumbsnap.com/Y6LhSxH3
http://thumbsnap.com/CrIer5dD

Willy Beamish did not work on Dos, there was another but I can't remember the name at the moment and can no longer access it via the computer. It was a Star Trek spoof Dos game, another point and click adventure game.
I can't run any Windows 3 games because I can no longer access my flashdrive via Windows.
I just played Double Dragon Dos without issue.
Virtual_Davey

Postby watlers world » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:34 am

If you can run Double Dragon, perhaps you still have a fighting chance.

Although I do not know how to make DOS games work,
I think that this might work for Windows 3.1:

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WIN31\himem.sys
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=100

AUTOEXEC.BAT
PATH=C:\DOS;
SMARTDRV

Use USB flash drives only for file transfer and run programs only from local storage.
watlers world

PreviousNext

Return to Programs