Some Flash Drives not readable

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

Some Flash Drives not readable

Postby dadof8 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:03 am

With USBUHCIL DisableLegacySupport and USBDRIVE installed, I can read and write an HP 4GB flash drive but not a Sandisk 4GB or PNY 8GB flash drive. All are formatted to FAT 16.
dadof8

Re: Some Flash Drives not readable

Postby Bret » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:16 am

Sorry it took so long to respond to this -- haven't had time to catch up on things lately.

This is a known problem, and discussed in the documentation. Some drives work and others don't, for no obviously apparent reason. I've even had two of the the same kind of drive (same manufacturer, same model, same size), but one older and one newer, and only one of them works. USB manufacturers do not always follow the USB standards, nor do they always test their devices on different kinds of platforms (they usually only test with the latest version of Windows and do not actually test for compliance with the standards, and Windows is not compliant with the standards).

Hopefully, the next version of the programs will have most, if not all, of these problems fixed.
Bret

Return to Programs