TO EVERYBODY USING BORLAND TURBO C++ 3.0

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

TO EVERYBODY USING BORLAND TURBO C++ 3.0

Postby Pierre-Marie Baty » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:20 am

In order to build a USB driver using Bret Johnson's USBUHCI[L] drivers for DOS in C, one must ensure the output file will be compiled using the TINY DOS memory model. This is necessary so that all pointers point at the same physical location in memory, which is a prerequisite for all your callback functions to work.

To achieve this with Borland Turbo C++, one must pass the -mt compiler option. In Bret's example source code (usbdevic.cpp) this options is passed as a #pragma directive directly in the source file.

Yet, passing the -mt compiler option as a #pragma directive like this does not work !

#pragma option -a -d -mt
// : : :
// : : +.. tiny memory model
// : +..... merge duplicate strings
// +........ word alignment

Your options will be silently disregarded by the compiler, without a single warning message, and your program will not behave appropriately.

Why did it seem to work in Bret's example ? That's because Bret's example (usbdevic.cpp) only enumerates the USB busses by asking the USBUHCI[L] driver to report back the information it has, it doesn't exactly send or receive anything to or from a USB peripheral. And in such a setup, no callback function to retrieve USB packet data is ever called.

So, if you start off with usbdevic.cpp and start modifying it, and you add an int14h call that specifies a callback function, you'll pull your hair out trying to finding out why it doesn't work.

I couldn't understand why my callback function wasn't called. I spent 4 days on this. Simply passing those compiler options in the command-line rather than in a #pragma directive instantly resolved my problem.

Now you're probably thinking: "dude, if you had disassembled your output you'd have seen the obvious, that it was not compiled in the tiny memory model". Well, I didn't bother, because not all of us know enough of low-level programming to understand 16-bit assembly listing headers. :)

Save yourself some headache and take good note of this...
Pierre-Marie Baty

Return to Programs