Keyboard under DOS

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

Keyboard under DOS

Postby fast_killer007 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:03 am

Good time for everyone! I'm a biginner. I have MB ASUS AT4NM-I with not working PS/2. When I plug in USB Keyboard in MB, then BIOS asks for pressing F1 or F2. But no action on pressing. And it sticks at it, waiting for action. So I can't access BIOS setup. Without any keybord win 7 starts and USB keyboard works propely. A goal is to load modified rom bios (ignore any error on post) with amiflash 7.11, but it also asks for answer YES to confirm.
I have hdd with MS-DOS 8.0 and I tried to load USB drivers for Keyboard. No success. Only works Lights NumLock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock.

Autoexec.bat
USBUHCIL Index 0 /disablelegacy
USBUHCIL Index 1 /disablelegacy
USBUHCIL Index 2 /disablelegacy
USBUHCIL Index 3 /disablelegacy
USBKEYB
USBUHCIL I0 AD > AD0-2.TXT
USBUHCIL I1 AD > AD1-2.TXT
USBUHCIL I2 AD > AD2-2.TXT
USBUHCIL I3 AD > AD3-2.TXT
USBHOSTS.COM

USBUHCIL 0.14, (C) 2007-2010, Bret E. Johnson.
DOS Driver for a Universal HCI compatible USB Host Controller.
LITE version (maximum 16 Devices, no Isochronous Transactions).

DEVICE ADDRESSES
ННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННН
Host Index: 2 Host Type: UHCI Bus Type: PCI IRQ#: 11 Root Hub Ports: 2
Vendor: 8086h = Intel Corp Product: 27C9h
ННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННН
DEVICES INTERFACES
ННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННН НННННННННННННННННННННННННННННННН
L C I A O
ADRS o P o n l w
НННН (hex) S o BUS n t t n
Test VEND PROD Sub Pro p USB HUB r POWR f f I e Sub Pro
RWak ID ID Cls Cls col d VER ADR t (mA) g c n DESCRIPTION d Cls Cls col
НННН НННН НННН ННН ННН ННН Н ННН ННН Н НННН Н Н Н НННННННННННННН Н ННН ННН ННН
1 8086 27C9 9 0 0 . 1.0 ... . s 0 1 0 0*Root Hub Y 9 0 0
Intel Corp
ДДДД ДДДД ДДДД ДДД ДДД ДДД Д ДДД ДДД Д ДДДД Д Д Д ДДДДДДДДДДДДДД Д ДДД ДДД ДДД
2R 046D C328 0 0 0 Y 1.1 1 2 98 1 0 0*Keyboard Y 3 1 1
Logitech Inc 1 0*Human Intf Dvc . 3 0 0

Can anybody help? Badly need your advices! How can I force my keybord to work under DOS?
fast_killer007

Re: Keyboard under DOS

Postby Bret » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:45 am

2 issues. First of all, it looks like for some reason your BIOS is not set up to use the USB keyboard, which is a HUGE problem for you. There is probably a setting in your BIOS somewhere that talks about "Legacy USB Support" (or something like that) that is not configured correctly. And, since you can't use the USB keyboard in the BIOS you can't change it. I think the only way you'll be able to get around that problem is by getting hold of a PS2 keyboard. It's unclear from your post if you don't have a PS2 port on the computer, or the PS2 port doesn't work, or don't have a PS2 keyboard, or the PS2 keyboard you have doesn't work (and maybe another one would).

Anyway, since the LEDs on the keyboard are working it sounds like the USB keyboard and USB drivers are probably OK. What I think is probably happening is that USBKEYB is incompatible with your keyboard BIOS for some reason. Try loading the KEYB driver from Microsoft, which "replaces" your keyboard BIOS with a new one. Note that the only one that will work correctly is one from Microsoft DOS (DOS 6 or DOS 7/Win9x are the latest ones). The other KEYB "clones", like the ones that come with FreeDOS, don't actually replace the keyboard BIOS like the Microsoft one does and they won't help you.

The line I have in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file is:

C:\DOS\KEYB US,,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS

to load the US keyboard driver. You need two files from MS-DOS (KEYB.EXE and KEYBOARD.SYS) to load the Microsoft keyboard driver for US English. If you have some other kind of (non-US) keyboard, you may need a different .SYS file (like maybe KEYBRD2.SYS) and will need to change the "US" to something else.
Bret

Re: Keyboard under DOS

Postby fast_killer007 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:19 am

Many thanks for reply!
MB does have ps/2 ports, but they are not working. May be somebody broke then by hot plug and unplug. PS/2 kb only flashes with all three LEDS one time on power up. MB is not mine. :)
So, I'll try your advice.

some time later...

You are the BEST!!! Respect to you, BRET !!!
Everything works fine!!! I did what i wanted!

I made a bootable usb flash image file (256mb) under DOS 8.
If you don't mind I place it here. www.service-pc.ru/rm.rar Just exctract and run RMPREPUSB. Select proper lang and then select your drive to burn image. Then press File to Drive. Choose KB_DOS.img and burn.
fast_killer007

Return to Programs