USBUHCIL.COM freezes my PC

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

USBUHCIL.COM freezes my PC

Postby Apolonius » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:41 pm

Hello.

I have a Thin Client T5000 series (mine is T5500) and when I try to install the USBUHCIL.COM driver the computer is totally freezed.
I have made a batch file with usbuhcil /disblelegacy and usbkeyb after that but the result is the same.

On Bios i have only a few options about USB controller and the options of enable/disable:
USB Controller
USB Keyboard Controller
USB Mouse Controller

It doens't matter if I put the Keyboard and mouse enabled or disabled, both works on DOS with no driver installed, only don't work if I disbable the USB Controller option.

I have tried with 3 keyboards, two are USB natives and another is PS/2 with USB adapter, on all have the same result.
If I try to install with conventional, extended or expanded memory, the driver drops an error (#12), freezes before complete the installation or freezes after installation but, the keyboard is dead on all options.

With no drivers I can plug pendrives, keyboards and mouses with no problems but I want to plug a USB MIDI, a printer or a pad and that is the problem, other devices whatever don't work.

Thanks and regards.
Maybe can be for a poor compatibility of this Thin Client with DOS?, i have MS-DOS 6.22 and FreeDOS 1.2 installed and dont work in both.
Apolonius

Re: USBUHCIL.COM freezes my PC

Postby Bret » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:17 am

Sorry you're having problems like this.

When you say the driver drops an error (#12), I'm not sure what you mean. USBUHCIL doesn't give errors with number, unless you're talking about the DOS ERRORLEVEL number.

Given the consistency of the problem across different DOS versions, it could be a memory problem rather than a USB problem. Have you tried with different memory managers (HOMEM/EMM386/JEMM/etc.) and different options for those managers? I know some people have had problems in the past with certain values of I= and X= in the memory managers.

One thing you can try is to load USBUHCIL with the /PD option. This will show exactly when USBUHCIL has stopped. That can narrow the problem down to some degree.
Bret

Return to Programs