I cant get 2 usb controllers 2-buttons 2 player work in dos

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

I cant get 2 usb controllers 2-buttons 2 player work in dos

Postby renejr902 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:31 pm

Hi! I loved your utilities and USBJSTIK.
i used it to play games with my logitech usb controller.
i play in pure dos 6.22. with a p233 mmx

Question 1:
But with usbjstik I cant get 2 usb controllers ( in 2-buttons mode ) for 2 player work in dos. Any ideas ? thanks

Only the first controller is detected by any game.

I connect 2 logitech precision or Logitech F310
in my two differents usb ports and i cant get the 2 controllers to work. Only the first one work at a 4 buttons gamepad. I even tried to get working one gamepad in gameport with one gamepad in usb and it dont work too. i even tried to use port 200h or 202h with the usb gamepad it dont work. Thanks for help.

Question 2: The only dos game that dont detect the usb gamepad is Jazz Jackrabbit, any idea ? thanks
renejr902

Re: I cant get 2 usb controllers 2-buttons 2 player work in dos

Postby Bret » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:02 am

Glad you've been able to use USBJSTIK successfully.

Regarding the two joysticks, I assume you have the USBJSTIK options set up to correctly virtualize two joysticks? I know the options to map USB joystick controls to analog joystick entities can be very confusing. You can send me the output of the "USBJSTIK /S" option for verification.

Also, are you sure the program you're trying to use is actually designed to use two joysticks? What specific game are you trying to use two joysticks with? By the way, you may be able to get around the problem by using my JOYKEYS program which converts joystick movements to keystrokes.

Regarding Jazz Jackrabbit, I suspect the problem might be that the program runs in protected mode (using DPMI) and the joystick port virtualization doesn't always work in DPMI. If I find time (maybe someday), I might experiment with that a little.
Bret

Postby renejr902 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:08 am

Hi! Thanks a lot for answer ! Its really appreciated.
I tried the Simpsons Arcade game and Commander Keen4 show in startup screen if it detects Joystick 1 and 2.
I will try other 2 players games later today like Bubble Bobble and others.

I didnt configuted anything in usbjstik. I only connect my 2 controller in my 2 usb port.

i just entered this in dos command: USBUHCI.COM
and enter. After that i entered USBJSTIK.COM and enter. thats all. ( but i did tried all parameter a few days ago with usbjstik.com but i was not sure if i have to do something special)

I will post USBJSTIK /S result today in this topic. Thanks so much for help. I hope to get it working at 2 players.
renejr902

Postby Bret » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:33 am

If all you did was enter USBJSTIK with no options at all then USBJSTIK will not by default virtualize the two USB joysticks as two analog joysticks. You will probably need to do something like this:

USBJSTIK Map BX J1 A0 Map BY J1 A1 Map B1 J1 B0 Map B2 J1 B1

The details on what this all means is described in the USBINTRO.DOC file, starting on page 123.

Also, since with your last response it doesn't seem like you have read (or at least understood) all the documentation, I need to say something else about Jazz Jackrabbit. While the problem could still be related to DPMI, it's also possible that it's related to the I/O Virtualization. There are two different ways that programs can access the joystick data -- through the BIOS or through the I/O ports. USBJSTIK should work with almost any program that access the joystick data through the BIOS, but most programs don't do it that way. If a program accesses the joystick data through the I/O ports (which Jazz Jackrabbit might do), you MUST use Microsoft's EMM386 -- this allows USBJSTIK to virtualize the I/O port. Also note that it MUST be EMM386 from Microsoft, and not some EMM386 "clone" (there are several of those, particularly from FreeDOS).

Again, this is explained in USBINTRO.DOC, and a USBJSTIK /S output will reveal some of those details.
Bret

Postby renejr902 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:30 am

Hi! I was about to post the pictures of status. I read your post and tested it.. IT Works at 2 joysticks, 2 players !! Thanks SO MUCH, its really appreciated. Im VERY Happy!
I did read all option and parameter of Usbjstik ? but i dont remember to have seen a doc or txt file, maybe i didnt check correctly.

I will try your EMM386 memory thing later today. But im pretty sure i already use EMM386 memory manager and its the Microsoft, but i will check again. I use official Dos 6.22. I use XMS memory and EMS memory too. Thanks for this too :)

I made a few tests too earlier today:

- I did try your updated usbjstik 0.12 that you made for a guy. When i use it it froze my computer at 3 times in a row. But i got the usbjstik 0.12 working by loading the other utilities before named dsm144.. before. its seems to load in low memory or something like that. But even after that and using usbjstik 0.12 no controller were dectected in dos. But honestly i dont care much , i will use usbjstik 0.11. I said you all of this for your own information to help you with your utilities :)

- I did try to use joykeys too and read a few pages of 50 pages of doc and check parameter with joykeys /? , But Honestly i didnt get it to work correctly because i dont understand how to configure it much. But dont worry too much its not as useful for me than usbjstick. But if you know a easy parameter to get it working with joystick 1 let me know, or a way i can choose the keyboard keys for the joystick buttons.. i tried different options but i didnt figure it much. And my native language is french. My 2nd language is english. My english is not too bad but it surely dont help to understand everything :)

THANKS SO MUCH i really wanted a lot to play at 2 players with 2 joystick, im very happy ! And i can play ols dos games at 2 players with my 2 young daughters and friends and family. its useful and fun for us. Thanks a million times Bret !! :)

René ( its my name, im from Canada,Quebec,Montreal)

EDIT: i tried to upload my 2 pictures of usbjstik /S but my pictures are 4mb and i cant uploaded more than 256kb. im not sure what to do. and im not sure you need it anyway because 2joystick works now. Let me know if you want to see them, we will find a way. thanks

EDIT2:
I forgot to tell you something. In some games included Keen4 the joystick1 work perfectly in games but in keen4 main menu only in move slowly all the way up , its alwsys like this. i have to use keyboard keys and DOWN keyboard to help me choosecthe option i want in menu. As soon as i cslibrated the joydtick 1 in keen4 menu i got this problem. But i can live with it and the menu its still usable, so dont worry too much, butbi have to use the keyboard and joystick at same time to be able to choose the good options choice in keen4 main menu. its not very easy but im able to do it. if you have a idea let me know thanks ( maybe its because something is wrong with analog or digital configuration of the axis ? am i right ? the usb 2 joystick i use for 2 players dont have analog stick only a dpad. I have 2 dual action logitech controller with analog stick but i dont use them in DOS with usbjstik right now. i prefer to use my 2 logitech without analog stick to avoid conflict with snalog stick. Thanks for help if possible about my keen4 main menu all way up joystick problem :)
renejr902

Postby renejr902 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Edit3: Tomb Raider 1 and Screamer in pure dos 6.22 dont recognize any usb gamepad like Jazz Jackrabbit. i just tried them.
But Bubble Bobble works perfect with 2 usb gamepad in 2 players mode :)

In my autoexec.bat i use emm386 like this:
C:\DOS\Emm386.exe RAM

It has to be the microsoft one because its from Dos 6.22

Thanks for help again. :)

( read my previous post i got my 2 usb gamepad working with your parameters ) :)

Edit4: i saw that the usb joystick 2 has a little more input lag than usb joystick 1 in 2 players mode in Simpsons, but its not too bad, its still ok, dont worry too much about it.
renejr902

Postby Bret » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:09 pm

Regarding JOYKEYS, it probably won't help with the games where USBJSTIK already works OK. I suspect the games where USBJSTIK doesn't work may be related to the protected mode/DPMI thing, but I'm not 100% sure. I almost never play games myself.

It's possible that JOYKEYS could help you with the games where USBJSTIK doesn't work, though. What JOYKEYS does is turn joystick movements into keystrokes. So, if you can tell the game to ignore the joysticks and use the keyboard instead, you might be able to use JOYKEYS. It will take some experimentation on your part if you're willing to spend the time.

Regarding EMM386, it seems like you've got it set up correctly.

Regarding posting the output of the USBJSTIK /S, instead of taking a picture of the screen it's easier and better to redirect the output of the program to a file. You do this by doing something like:

USBJSTIK /S > USBJSTIK.STS

The greater-than sign tells DOS to send the output of the program (USBJSTIK) to a file (USBJSTIK.STS) instead of to the screen. You can then either upload the small text file (USBSTIK.STS) or just copy and paste its contents into a message.

Regarding some of the slow responses in the games (Simpsons, Keen), there is one option in USBJSTIK that might help. You can try adjusting the Center option as follows:

USBJSTIK /Center:20

You can experiment with different values for the Center number. The default value is 50, and USBJSTIK will accept any value between 10 and 200. Smaller values make USBJSTIK work "faster", but the kind of speed it increases may not actually help with the programs. You will just need to try it and see.
Bret

Postby renejr902 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:11 pm

Hi! i tried Center 20 the jostick was still moving in the keen4 menu by itself. But it was slower and i have more control with it. At Center 10 its still moving too but it was even slower so it was easy to choose any item in the menu using the keyboard. The joystick still moving up by itself but much slower, at least the menu is easy usable. Its easy to choose the option i want with the help of the keyboard. I was curious i tried 100 and 150. and the joystick is moving up Very fast and the keyboard cant help. in game map the Keen character is moving by itself, no control on it.

About the input lag of the joystick 2, its not happen with Bubble Bobble at 2 players joystick. it should be a Simpsons game problem, and its not really bad anyway, very playable.

Finally after several joystics tests, i use one Logitech dual action with no analog stick and another one Logitech similar controller but with analog stick. But both works perfect in Bubble Bobble and the Simpsons game. The analog controller can switch between D-Pad and analog stick with a dedicate button on the controller, its nice. Everything work perfect. The 3 only games until now i cant get any joystick at all to work are the 3 same games: Jazz Jackrabbit, Tomb Raider 1 and Screamer 2. Every others games i tried work with 1 or 2 joysticks. For the 3 games that dont work i use gameport joystick and they dont have analog stick for game like Tomb Raiber. Honestly i prefer to play with usb Logitech controllers because they are much better quality than my 2 gameport gamepad.

I tried for 1h to get joykeys working in dos. It doesnt work with usb joystick and usbjstik AND it doesnt work too with gameport controller. I tried a few games and choose keyboard for game with joystick support. I tried Joykeys /T and everything seems ok, it recognize the joystick 1 and keys. But to be honest, joykeys is not really important to me, it was for a few games that dont support joystick and they are games i dont like very much, so you can forget about it. :)

Im very happy with pretty much everything. Thanks a lot !
I hope my file can help you in some way. If you can get any of the 3 games working with a usb joystick let me know anytime in the future, you can pm me too. :)

I uploded the usbjstik file compressed in .zip and paste it below too, the file uploaded is before i Center:10 the joystick and before i used your parameters for 2 players joysticks.

Have a great day !

René

Thanks for everything !
Attachments
USBJSTIK.STS.zip
Usbjstik.STS file compressed to .ZIP
(748 Bytes) Downloaded 592 times
renejr902

Return to Programs