USBMOUSE.COM freeze

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

USBMOUSE.COM freeze

Postby Vas » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:55 pm

First of all, I would like to say that I was really impressed by the incredible amount of work that have been done. I had similar experience in developing USB drivers for DOS many years ago, but did much less (If you wonder, I could provide only 256 kbit/sec bulk speed for UHCI and also could not implement OHCI and EHCI).
So, thank you, Bret, for these huge efforts and sharing your results. I have hope I will have time for learning some docs/sources you kindly shared.

I would like to ask about the problem that I encountered - I run consequently USBUHCI.COM and USBMOUSE.COM and on the second, after the sound notification, there is a stable hangup from which only hardware reset helps.
I tried to disable all 3-rd party software, switched-off COM-port mouse and used naked DOS 7.0 (From Windows 98) but it did not help. Maybe you could provide me a piece of advice what to try?
Vas

Re: USBMOUSE.COM freeze

Postby Bret » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:37 am

At least you have an idea how complicated USB really is. It's certainly flexible, but also EXTREMELY complicated.

I suspect this may be related to the DOS mouse driver you are using. The only one that really works is CTMOUSE, and even then you need to make sure you are using a correct version of CTMOUSE that accesses the mouse through the BIOS rather than directly through the hardware. If you are using some other mouse driver, including Microsoft or Logitech or Mouse Systems or any of the others, it probably won't work. I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure you can't use USBMOUSE alongside a serial or bus mouse. The DOS mouse driver (like CTMOUSE) only expects there to be one mouse (and one type of mouse) and if it's looking for a serial port mouse it will ignore a PS2/BIOS mouse (and vice versa). USBMOUSE emulates a PS2 mouse at the BIOS level rather than the hardware level.

You can also try installing CTMOUSE either before or after USBMOUSE and see if the installation order makes any difference.

BTW, in the next version of USBMOUSE I might be able to fix the hardware emulation problem so it will work with most mouse drivers and not require CTMOUSE. I'm not sure I can pull it off, but it's on my "Investigate This Further" list.
Bret

Postby Vas » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:52 am

Yes, I had read the forum and had understood the recommendation about CTMOUSE driver.
But the freeze happens without any mouse driver even.
It hangs immediately after USBMOUSE start
Vas

Postby Bret » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:39 am

Are there any other devices plugged into the UHCI controller that the USB mouse is plugged into (particularly something like a USB keyboard)?
Bret

Postby Vas » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:08 am

No other USB devices.

But, I tried even without USB mouse and freeze also reproduced.

Only one difference, There is a short 'beep' sound if USB mouse is attached.

PS. Some other info. CPU: Pentium 120 Mhz. UHCI chip: VID 8086 DevId 7020.
I am sure that hardware is OK because Win98 can be started on this PC and the USB mouse works there.
Vas

Postby Vas » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:28 am

a screenshot
Attachments
photo_2021-04-28_22-25-45cr.jpg
photo_2021-04-28_22-25-45cr.jpg (54.36 KiB) Viewed 20286 times
Vas

Postby Bret » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:18 am

The beep with the mouse attached could be because USBMOUSe doesn't "like" the mouse for some reason. All mice are not created equal.

You may have already tried this (based on your comment about disabling third party software), but it looks like you don't have any upper, extended, or expanded memory. You could have UMBPCI loaded though which would give you Upper Memory (but UMBPCI's Upper Memory is incompatible with the USB drivers). Have you tried it with HIMEM/EMM386, JEMMEX, or some other alternative to provide at least Upper Memory (you don't necessarily need Extended or Expanded Memory)?
Bret

Postby Vas » Tue May 18, 2021 7:37 am

It seems to I found the culprit.

I tried the same case on another PC and got exactly the same freeze.
Tried to use SoftIce to understand where it freezes, but SoftIce hangs every start.

So, suspicious #1 was OS. I changed it and could start SoftIce and could start USBUHCI + USBMouse without freeze (of course not together with SoftIce :D ).

But this activity aroused my interest. So I think I will continue experimenting later.
Vas

Postby Bret » Wed May 19, 2021 2:09 am

Interesting. From the screenshot it looks like you're using Windows 98. I'm not sure I've ever experimented with my USB drivers and Windows 98, but I definitely have with Windows 95. To be honest, I'm not even sure I have a copy of Windows 98.

Let me know what you figure out.
Bret

Return to Programs