New VM, OS, and complete ecosystem

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

New VM, OS, and complete ecosystem

Postby RickCHodgin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:25 am

I'd like to know if anyone here is interested in starting a new software ecosystem related to our faith in Jesus Christ?

I have an ISA called Inspire I've developed. I'm working on an emulator for it now, which is a type of VM that will run code compiled for the Inspire CPU. I'd like to create a thin wrapper for ARM-based and AMD64-based devices, one which lets us create our own custom OS in Inspire that will run the same on any platform.

Bret, you have great programming knowledge. You'd be an asset.

Anyone else, would you be interested as well?

My goals are:
1) Complete the Inspire emulator / VM on AMD64. It's written in Visual Studio and currently runs in Windows.
2) Develop or port a simple C compiler and begin coding the OS in Inspire. We'll create a virtual screen, virtual keyboard and mouse input, and use a virtual network for the purposes of testing. These will later be wrapped into machine-specific drivers, which will be a very thin wrapper for ports of machine-specific drivers from other OSes. We could use a completely stripped down Linux kernel at first, for example, just to get it up and running.
3) Begin writing native apps in our OS on our VM so that we can port to every device, and encourage others to do so. We'll create a decent C++ compiler that allows the basic class and some extensions, but not the full implementation. Enough to port a lot of code over if they want. Same with a Java syntax compiler.

Long-term goals:
1) Just-in-time compiling to translate the Inspire ISA code into native hardware, like how Java runs natively on the machine rather than through the bytecode engine.
2) Produce a phone that comes pre-installed with our OS and sell that to start a business that will sustain us.
3) Be a type of outreach ministry as the entire project would be devoted to Christ through our Christian faith.

I'm able to complete the Inspire emulator / VM on my own, but help would be appreciated.
I'm able to write the OS on my own, but help would be appreciated.
I'm able to develop the apps on my own, but help would be appreciated.

I don't want to do it alone. I don't even want to be in charge of the project. I just want to be moving forward with an offering unto my Lord and Savior. I want to give back to Him in this world the full fruit of what He first gave me.

Please contact me privately if you'd like. rick.c.hodgin at gmail dot com
RickCHodgin

Return to Programs