USBJSTIK and Logitech Extreme 3D Pro flight stick

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

USBJSTIK and Logitech Extreme 3D Pro flight stick

Postby retrodude69 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:07 pm

G'day from Australia :)

USBJSTIK seems to work OK with this device, except the Slider is detected as 8 buttons! Haha, I've zipped and attached readout from USBUHCI /DESCR, USBJSTIK R, and USBJSTIK S.

The stick has X, Y, and Rotation axes, a slider, and 12 buttons. Not sure why the slider is detected as an additional 8 buttons (hence why USBJSTIK S shows 20 buttons).

Thank you, any help is appreciated :)
Attachments
USBDOS - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro logs.zip
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
retrodude69

Re: USBJSTIK and Logitech Extreme 3D Pro flight stick

Postby Bret » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:32 am

Greetings from New Mexico in the USA!

Thanks for sending the info. The relevant data is shown in the R report, which shows how all the the bits are organized. The report is grouped into 6 "sections".

The first section is for the main "joystick handle". There are two axes (Report Count=2) each using 10 bits (Report Size=10).

The next section s for the hat-switch.

The next section is for the handle rotation (the third "axis").

The next section has 8 buttons.

The next section has 4 buttons (not sure why the divided the buttons like that -- maybe some buttons are on the joystick base and others on the handle)?

The last section seems to be the problem. It is not shown as an axis or as a slider or as anything like that. It is simply shown as "vendor defined", which means there's no way of knowing what it is. But it does show a Report Count of 4 and a Report Size of 8, which would seem to indicate something like 4 "somethings" (like sliders) each with 8 bits of resolution. You seem to think there is only one, so I'm not sure what Logitech is trying to say.

In any case, USBJSTIK is not interpreting the data correctly. I'm not sure why it thinks the four sliders are 8 buttons -- that's not right. I'll try to look at that and fix it in the next version. I hope it works well enough for you now to be useful even though it's not correct.

Another thing you can do is run a couple of other reports, using the /J and /O options. Those are "real-time" status screens so you won't be able to simply redirect the output to a file like you can with the other options. But, you can see what happens as you play with the joystick and see if the 4x8 vendor-defined thing makes any sense, or if USBJSTIK is totally screwed up.
Bret

Postby retrodude69 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Bret!

I've uploaded the results of USBJSTIK /J:0 as a video because the results are interesting haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CE1ZJPUqPQ

As you can see, the stick has a single slider (using 8 bits I'm guessing), which USBKSTIK detects are 8 individual buttons. Moving the slider slowly from top (00000000) to bottom (11111111) and back again you can see it counting up/down in binary! haha

Thank you very much for looking into it. I consider the stick to be very usable as is, but it would be nice to have full functionality.

P.S. I also tried a wired XBOX 360 Controller if you'd like the reports from that, though it seems to need a lot of work to get it going as it wasn't detected by USBJSTIK in any capacity. Power/status LED on the controller flashes constantly once USBUHCI is loaded.
retrodude69

Postby Bret » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:45 am

Thanks for the video.

I'll look into the problem and figure out what's happening. I don't have a lot of time to work on these things, so don't expect an answer any time soon.

What I'm seeing is very weird, though. As you move the slider it is showing up as buttons 8-15, but based on the Report Descriptor it seems like it should be buttons 13-19. Something is definitely messed up in USBJSTIK.

You can send me the info for the XBOX controller and let me look at it. I suspect it doesn't even report itself in the descriptors as a joystick or a gamepad but rather as something else. If this is the case USBJSTIK won't even bother trying to look at it. It could be a relatively simple fix, or it could be very complicated.

I'm glad it works "good enough" for you right now even though it's not correct.
Bret

Return to Programs