I wish that USBUHCIL would use less memory or use RAM

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

I wish that USBUHCIL would use less memory or use RAM

Postby Nisse » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:49 am

On newer computers with big Rom areas and Video Areas it almost sometimes impossible to have the USBmouse and USBUHCIL going at the same time
while not loosing over 30 kb of UMB or conventional memory. As always the drivers are really neat but I really wish that it would have an option to load in ram or something similair.
I really hope that this will get optimized in future. There are so many many computers now, and I know Bret is rather Busy... But
I guess I will have to go down on my knees and pray =)
Nisse

Re: I wish that USBUHCIL would use less memory or use RAM

Postby Bret » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:00 pm

Just as an FYI, "memory" and "RAM" are the same thing. "UMB" and "conventional memory" are different categories of memory or RAM, but they are still RAM.

Anyway I am working on ways to reduce conventional and upper memory use by using EMS and DPMS. As you noted, I don't have a lot of time these days to work on it but it is progressing slowly.
Bret

Postby Nisse » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:30 am

Yes they are still RAM, but I never viewed it as ram. I only viewed EMS as RAM :P
Nice that it is progressing anyway, that was good news to hear..
Nice to hear from you =) hope your doing fine.
When you finished the drivers there is tons of newer boards that can be used..
I have experimented a lot with boards around the I815 and i845, and often your left with around 20-30 kb of UMB due to their Bios roms.
Nisse

Postby Nisse » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:41 am

I am curious, I got like two PCI boards with USB 2.0 compatibility for DOS and windows 98.
Are your plans to make the drivers work in such a setup in pure DOS as well ?
I think you said yes in the past.. To use PCI cards with USB in DOS would be awesome

With best regards J
Nisse

Postby Bret » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:59 pm

Almost all USB controllers are PCI. I've only seen one that isn't PCI and it's a VERY incomplete controller than from what I understand can only handle disks (not mice or keyboards or anything else). All DOS drivers made by me will assume PCI.
Bret

Postby Nisse » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:33 pm

I mean the USB cards that you put in the PCI slot (the ones that are not integrated)
Most of my USB controllers are integrated in the motherboard =)
Nisse

Return to Programs