Scancode

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

Scancode

Postby Bret » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:14 am

Postby chayim on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:54 am

I've just downloaded scancode. Looking through the docs, it seems to me that each scancode "script" is limited to a single line. Many small scripts could be loaded up at the same time, resulting in a sort of "event driven" program. But it seems difficult to write a big program this way.

Maybe it's just because of my Basic/C/C++ background. I'm still trying to decide if I should code my script using scancode, or continue searching for something else. I'm working on a way to automate Jigdo downloads of Debian. Running on windows, it's a lot of calls to batch files plus user keypresses at various times.

I've moved chayim's request to a new Topic.

You're correct, a SCANCODE "script" is limited to a single line, and multiple scripts can be loaded and "linked" together to create a complex event-driven system. SCANCODE is relatively easy to use for simple tasks, but can be daunting if you're trying to do something complicated or lengthy.

I do plan on updating SCANCODE some time in the future. The update will include a simple "programming language" (Loops, Jumps, etc.), and will also allow a lengthy input "source code" file that will allow many more items in a single "script" than can be included in a DOS command line. Unfortunately, I've got too many other things going on right now and I won't be able to get around to it for quite a while.

It's possible that some other programs will do a better job for you than SCANCODE. The main advantage of SCANCODE, besides the high degree of programmability, is that the way it "types" is different than the way any other program does. This allows SCANCODE to "type" certain keystrokes at certain times that none of the other programs are able to accomplish. Based on your description, it sounds like you don't need that functionality, so another program would probably work for you.

I'm attaching a program called JACKIE, a program someone else sent me a long time ago. It's a Beta, but as far as I know an official version was never released (I've never been able to find it, anyway). The documentation is also not clear as to who wrote it or whether it's shareware or freeware or what, so I assume it's freeware. It has a simple "programming language", so can be set up to do some complicated and lengthy things much easier than SCANCODE. I suspect it will do what you're wanting.
Attachments
Jackie.zip
(47.2 KiB) Downloaded 1415 times
Bret

Return to Programs