DOS USB Drivers Now Available for Testing

The intent of this forum is to discuss my DOS TSR programs (available at http://bretjohnson.us), how they work and don't work, new/missing features, status of updates, and anything else related to them that may need to be discussed.

DOS USB Drivers Now Available for Testing

Postby Bret » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:45 am

This morning I uploaded test (alpha/beta) versions of the DOS USB drivers to my web site (http://bretjohnson.us). Please download them and let me know what you think.
Bret

Re: DOS USB Drivers Now Available for Testing

Postby Dinosaur » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 pm

Bret

Before I go through the lengthy task of testing the usb driver, can you advise on the following.
System:
Industrial ISA cpu board with UHCI USB support .
FreeDos protected mode OS
Applications written in FreeBasic.

Purpose:
Computerised Weighing equipment.

Currently:
Using EasyCat touchpad on ps2 port, or Joystick on ps2 port (getting hard to get)

As the USB driver is intended for MS-Dos, does this mean that the driver will repeatedly switch back & forth to Real mode
for it's operation.? (in which case it will slow my process down to much)

Regards
Dinosaur.
Dinosaur

Postby Bret » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:02 pm

The driver can operate when the CPU is in protected (V86) mode, as long as VCPI is installed. This can be accomplished by using HIMEM.SYS & EMM386 , or an equivalent. Data can be transferred to/from the USB device and any physical memory address, but the code addresses provide by the device driver to the host driver must be within the first MB of memory (segment:offset format).

In other words, it does not switch between real and protected mode. It may, however, need to switch between V86 mode and flat memory mode.
Bret

Postby Bret » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:26 am

In the future, please do not reply to this (or any other) topic with a new question. Replies are for answering questions, not asking them.

Instead, go back to the previous page ("Programs") and click the "New Topic" button on the top left or bottom left of the screen.
Bret

Return to Programs